Theft crime charges in Texas can be very serious. Robbery is a type of charge that has a wide range of severity and sentencing, depending upon the circumstances of the alleged crime committed. Robbery is generally defined as taking another person’s property by force. For example, if you were to unlawfully take merchandise out of a store without touching or threatening another person, you wouldn’t be charged with robbery. However, if you took something by force from another person, whether it was a purse, wallet, vehicle or other item, you will probably face robbery charges.
Robbery can be charged as a second degree felony if, during the course of the theft, you:
- Intentionally, carelessly or knowingly caused physical injury to another person
- Intentionally or knowingly threatened another person with physical injury/death
- Intentionally or knowingly placed another person in fear of physical injury/death
A second degree felony is an extremely serious charge and could result in the following:
- Two to 20 years imprisonment
- Up to $10,000 in fines
You can also be charged with the more serious aggravated robbery crime if, during the course of the theft, you:
- Cause serious physical injury to another person
- Use or show/flourish a deadly weapon
- Threaten with or place a person in fear of bodily injury or death when that person is over 65 or disabled
Aggravated robbery is a first degree felony in Texas and can result in life imprisonment. This is as severe a charge as certain murders and cannot be taken lightly. If you have been charged with robbery or you are aware that you will be charged, it is very important that you take the first steps to protect yourself throughout your criminal trial. An important first action would be to locate and meet with a criminal defense attorney who has experience defending robbery cases in Texas. Without a strong legal defense, you could face serious jail time and fines. Our criminal defense lawyers at the Martinez Law Firm are intimately familiar with all types of robbery offense cases and have successfully defended countless individuals with robbery.